Home Health Study Results
In late 2014, we commissioned a leading independent air quality laboratory to conduct a study for us. The goal was to see just how effective and healthy our Hot Carbonated Extraction (HCE) carpet cleaning method is. We decided to not only test allergen removal from carpets, but also allergen removal from upholstery and our ability to remove bacteria from the home
This research study was conducted in a varied sample of consumer homes around the United States and the world. We used both our traditional HCE process as well as a pre-spray treatment.
Here are the results from the final report:
We remove an average of 98.1% of common household allergens from carpets and upholstery (combined). The common household allergens we tested were cat dander, dog dander, and dust mite allergen. This broke down further into the respective service lines as follows:
We remove an average of 99.1% of allergens from upholstery
We remove an average of 89.0% of airborne bacteria, significantly improving air quality. This test utilized the addition of a sanitizer during the cleaning process.
Our P.U.R.T.® treatment is 99.9% effective on average at eliminating pet urine odors.
Our P.U.R.T.® treatment removes an average of 99.2% of the bacteria from the pet urine stains in the carpets.
We are happy to have these quantifying results of our process thanks to this study. These results further strengthen the fact that Southside Chem-Dry is the top choice to deliver healthy carpets and furniture in Virginia Beach.
Do You Know ￼￼What’s Inside Your Home?
- 1 in 5 Americans suffer from allergies and asthma (AAFA)
- Allergy is the 5th leading chronic disease in the U.S. (AAFA)
- Approximately 40 million Americans have indoor/outdoor allergies as their primary allergy (AAFA)
- The most common indoor/outdoor allergy triggers are: pet dander; dust mite allergen; tree, grass and weed pollen; and mold spores (AAFA)
- 25 million Americans have asthma (AAFA)
- 44,000 people have an asthma attack every day in America (AAFA)
- Indoor pollution in U.S. homes exceeds the levels of outdoor pollution by two to 100 times, depending on factors such as whether the residents smoke (Web MD)
- Eight out of 10 people in the United States are exposed to house dust mites, and six out of 10 are exposed to cat or dog dander. Controlling the air quality in your home, office and car can reduce allergy and asthma symptoms (AAFA)
- Each year, allergies account for more than 17 million outpatient office visits, primarily in the spring and fall; seasonal allergies account for more than half of all allergy visits (AAFA)
- About 20 million Americans have a dust mite allergy (AAFA)
- Over 100,000 dust mites can be found in 10 square feet of carpeting (NCBI)
- A typical used mattress can house 100,000 to 10 million dust mites (CDC)
- 2,000 dust mites can live on one ounce of carpet dust (Chem-Dry)
- Approximately 10 million people are allergic to cat dander, the most common pet allergy (AAFA)
- The “dander,” or skin shedding of an animal, is more potent in causing allergic reactions than the animal’s fur or hair (MedicineNet)
- Carpets harbor about 200,000 bacteria on every square inch (Chem-Dry)
- A carpet can hold eight times its weight in toxin-filled dirt and dust (Chem-Dry)
- A carpet can hide as much as one pound of dirt per square yard (Chem-Dry)
- The carpet in your home could be seven times dirtier than a city street (Chem-Dry)
*Based on results from a study conducted by an independent laboratory using Chem-Dry’s Hot Carbonating Extraction process. Allergens tested were dog and cat dander and dust mite allergen. Airborne bacteria results includes use of sanitizer. Figures are an average across multiple homes.
We provide residential and commercial carpet, upholstery, tile & grout, and area rug cleaning services as well as pet urine removal and water damage restoration services throughout the Virginia Beach area including Norfolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach & Portsmouth.
Virginia Beach Carpet, Upholstery, Area Rug,
Tile & Grout Cleaning
Call for A Free Estimate:
Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-5pm
Get In Touch: